Translate

Monday, August 25, 2014

Arrived

It's Monday morning here in Kyiv. Two days to go before we head to the SDA office.

We spent most of yesterday sightseeing and celebrating with the Ukrainians as it was their Independence Day. It was a very special Independence Day as Ukraine continues to fight for its people and freedom. Everyone was wearing something that signifies their patriotism to their country. And I'm sad to say, Ukraine shames Canada when it comes to this. Even the dogs were dressed in celebratory clothes. The people here love their country and have and will continue to protect it. I myself as a Canadian, am learning just exactly what this means and I do hope to change my attitude.

Dave and I walked through Independence Square where destruction once was only a short while ago. There are some remnants of the Maidan war that took many, many lives in their fight for freedom. We walked past several people who wept on the street for those that did so in the name of freedom for Ukraine. I was honestly moved by their love and pride for their people and country.

I am blessed and I have taken it for granted.


We met briefly with one of our main contacts here yesterday. "I" was very friendly and we look forward to working with her. She encouraged us to go out and explore Kyiv and explore we did. Dave and I rode our first Ukrainian subway to the Dnipro River, visited St. Sofiska Cathedral and took in the grounds. We walked down "Art Alley" (I think that was the coined name) where local artists display their work for what seems to be a half a mile long down the street. I hope to bring home some pieces, I just need to find a way to bring it home.

We then hopped the trolley back to our flat. Our place is in Independence Square which has been great as everything is within reach including the SDA office.

I think we are going to explore St. Andrews Cathedral and surrounding area today and as per usual, grab a kava.
                                                                  The Dnipro River

                                                                St. Sofiska Cathedral

                                                               

Independence Square during the parade

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are taking this time to learn about the country of your childs hystory.