Translate

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Part 3: I understand

Dave arrived in Winnipeg early this morning, and I arrived back in Izmail later this afternoon. During the 10 day waiting period, we made it all the way to Krakow, Poland. There we visited Auschwitz. I had always wanted to visit Auschwitz for a couple of reasons. One, to try grasp some sort of understanding of what "really" happened, and two, to understand why my grandfather never spoke about his time in the war.

He only shared one story with me, and that was when he was walking through a field and he he tripped and fell face first into a pile of cow dung. It was humorous at the time, and I still chuckle when I think of my grandpa falling and how his fellow troop members must have laughed at him. But aside from this and the one time mention of him seeing Mussolini driving by him, no other words were spoken about the war.


Upon arrival to the now museum, I couldn't help but think about the innocent people during the time Auschwitz was open and how many of them believed they were being transferred to a place of wealth and safety. Some were even paid to board the train to Auschwitz. Of course, the payment was taken back once the innocent were murdered. We arrived on a full bus, I imagine the people arriving on packed train cars and what they might be thinking. Perhaps they were thinking of hope and freedom, perhaps fear of the unknown. I know I was fearful of entering Auschwitz because it would become a reality that I will have to deal with. I was afraid.

We were a small echo of the souls that actually lived Auschwitz.We stood in a long line to get our entrance ticket, we waited in large groups. We were divided and sorted by our ethnicity and size; and we even shuffled around the grounds from building to building. I felt afraid even though I knew I was safe. I knew I belonged with the English speaking tour guide, I waited in line and in large groups with other people waiting to see the museum. I shuffled along side fellow travellers from the first gas chamber to the wall of death, to the multitude of eyeglasses, hair and suitcases.

After experiencing Auschwitz, I understand less than I did before entering. I understand why my grandfather never talked about it. That's the only thing I understand.



                                                         The entrance gate to the camp




  










                                                           


     Only a handful of actual human ashes remain. And they remain in this commemorative urn.



                                                                              Statistics




                                           A canister of the poison used in the gas chamber.












                                      Over 43,000 pairs of shoes are on display at Auschwitz




 Female prisoner photos lined one side of the wall, while male prisoners lined the opposite. Below are three women that caught my eye. From my perspective, they look to be smiling and/or at peace.



 Many of the photographed women did not live longer than a month or so after entering the camp







                                                                  My lens was foggy.



The wall of death. Prisoners were stripped then marched out to face this wall. They were then shot in the back of the head.



 Prisoners were hung on this post and left as a reminder to others to obey. Even if they did obey, there most likely killed in the end.



Outside the first gas chamber. Unfortunately, I did not make it to Birkenau as this was very overwhelming for me. We chose to leave and visit Schindler's Enamel Factory museum instead. (an amazing display of history there as well.)








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.

heidimo said...

My heart breaks to see this and I can't even come close to imaging what the people here most have gone through. Makes my heart heavy. (Thanks for sharing though)

Unknown said...

I honestly didn't know what to say or whether I should post anything. I really do feel speechless when I think of the tour. I still can't imagine.